Monday, May 12, 2008

Cannes Day 1





Just finished my first day in Cannes. Whoohoo. We are doing a press stunt and party at the Carlton Hotel Pier. Today my boss and I walked around, figured out where everything was, checked in with the client and got set up in their production office, worked on a rain contingency plan... you know, the usual stuff.


There is a 50% chance of rain for the party on Thursday. This is not good. The event could probably survive - guests can squish into the tent we have and (truly) it's more of a misting/drizzle than a downpour. They would manage. It's the press we're worried about. They need a dry place to stand - especially considering they're out there for an hour or two (if we're lucky) and have very expensive video/photography equipment. Plus the talent won't do a rainy press line. Can you imagine [insert starlet name here] looking like a drowned rat? Quelle horreur!


So we're looking into options. Maybe move the party into the hotel... tent certain areas of the party... each with certain limitations and problems. Ah well.


Anyhow, worked, worked, worked... then met with the other client and went over the initial guest list. The plan is to meet at 8 am tomorrow to review the list one more time and e-mail out the invites.


Tried to nap, but it's not so easy. I'm just not tired, though I know I should be. Went to dinner with my boss and the client. Somewhere just past the Palais (the festival HQ). We split mussels with curry sauce and a goat cheese tart. AMAZING. Had a parma salad too, with bufalo mozarella, sundried tomatoes and proscuitto. Finished it off with some crepe with Nutella. WOW. All so good!


Of course the rain started in a lot harder as we walked back to the hotel, so I was pretty soaked when I arrived around 11 pm. Figured I'd fall asleep quickly, but I'm still on a weird schedule and was up until 2:30 working and watching American shows dubbed in French. Fun. "Grey's Anatomy"? Really? That's just wrong.

No comments: