Monday, May 11, 2009

Who wants to see some Cannes?

From Boston (4 days) to Miami (5 days), then to Cannes. All in all, not a bad trip. The east coast start knocked a few hours off the flight, so from MIA-LHR was about 8.5 hours. Then LHR-NCE was another 2 hours. I hadn't gotten more than 5 hours of sleep a night for the last couple weeks, so I took advantage of the downtime and slept for most of both flights. Unfortunately, by the time we landed, my cold was kickin' and I was not doing well. Congestion + air pressure = misery. I somehow got through the descent (thank you jack daniels!), found my bags, stumbled through customs (really just an exit - I don't even think it was manned) and caught a car into Cannes.

This year we are at the Residence All Suites Hotel. It's a perfect location - a block and a half off the Croisette (the main drag) keeps us close to the action, but not quite squashed in the crowds. The hotel itself is relatively new, so I hear. And true to Cannes-form, the lobby and pool are pretty sharp, in order to impress the passerbys. The rooms aren't too bad. They're modern in an American hotel chain way, like a Sheraton, which is to say that they are totally fine and clean, but don't have any personality. Lobby has wireless, but it won't reach to the room. Ugh. They also seem to hate electrical outlets. I had to buy an extension cord and a power strip to power the Airport Express, MacBook, phone, blackberry, iPod, Garmin.... (and that doesn't include the USB-powered gizmos). But check out my view!!


No comments: